Friday 30 January 2015

The Effect of Classical Interpretations on Modern Songs


In my last article I wrote about the line between classical music and modern music and how the former has influenced the later. This week I want to explore an element of this that wasn’t discussed last week. The way classical instruments (or indeed any instrument) and different arrangements can be used to enhance a song, change its tone and make it appeal to completely different audiences. From simply adding one new instrument to creating a full orchestral version of a song, different interpretations of songs can create incredible pieces of music.

‘Call Me Maybe’ by Carly Rae Jepsen performed by Ben Howard and Band



I’ll be honest, I never thought I would write about ‘Call Me Maybe’ on the Southern Sinfonia blog, the original version of this song is pure pop which depending on your opinion is either catchy and fun or irritating and childish. However when I began to think about arrangements and instruments changing the meaning and the feel of a song, the above version by Ben Howard was the first thing that came to my head. Despite the fact that they haven’t changed the lyrics, stripping back the track to guitar, violin and drums and slowing the tempo completely changes the way you view the song. Sung and performed in this arrangement lines like “I beg, and borrow and steal, Have foresight and it’s real, I didn’t know I would feel it, But it’s in my way” suddenly conjures up images of yearning for someone you can’t have, compared to the original which conjures up images of thinking someone is attractive and forcing them to have your number.

Despite the power that can be found in changing meaning, it’s not always the goal or indeed the reason a new version of a song can be so powerful. Sometimes adding layers can simply enhance what is already there. I already loved the album version of ‘The Things We Lost in the Fire’ by Bastille but there is something inspiring about watching the below version:

‘The Things We Lost in the Fire’ by Bastille performed by Bastille featuring Queen’s College Choir and Cambridge University Chamber Orchestra



The combination of Queen’s College Choir, the Cambridge University Chamber Orchestra and classical instruments such as the kettle drum add drama, grandeur and a sense of spectacle that whilst present in the original, comes alive in this version. As well as the performances, it is also the visuals that add this. Being able to see the amount of people contributing to the music immediately adds a sense of occasion, placing the sense of occasion you get from a classical concert into a modern context.

Modern technology has given all acts the opportunity to upload covers and content onto YouTube, whether it’s a band, choir and orchestra performing in a university or two violinists in a room:

‘I Will Wait’ by Mumford and Sons performed by Momento



The brilliant thing about this interpretation is using just two violins, Momento manage to turn a folk rock song into a classical piece. The incredibly clever way that they do this is by playing the instruments in unique ways, including strumming the violin in the way you would strum a guitar to create something fresh and exciting. The original song is performed on a range of instruments including banjos, keyboards and a double bass. Stripping this back to just the violin immediately makes the piece feel classical.

You do however recognise the Mumford and Sons original, I personally find myself still hearing that version in my head whilst appreciating the Momento version, which is part of the joy of listening to it. A classical interpretation that does however take me away from the original can be found below:

‘Story of my Life’ by One Direction performed by The Piano Guys



I can’t lie, I personally don’t mind One Direction at all, a number of their songs have great melodies and get inside your head. Therefore I know the original version of the above quite well, however despite this I still feel that the version above completely transforms this song. Using a piano and cello, The Piano Guys have created a beautiful piece of music that you loose yourself in as your mind wonders. Which is exactly my reaction to my favourite pieces of classical music.

When most people think of covers of modern rock songs using classical instruments their mind potentially turns to full orchestral covers, with acts such as the London Symphony Orchestra becoming renowned for their covers. For me, the best example of this I’ve heard recently is this:

‘Killing in the Name’ by Rage Against the Machine arranged and conducted by Nick Proch 




Again, I am a big fan of the original version of this song (I can’t be the only one with Rage Against the Machine AND One Direction on their iPod can I?????) and part of the thrill of this version is knowing what it starts as and seeing what is has become. The angry and volatile nature of the original disappears with this arrangement, instead it transforms into a theatrical piece of music that wouldn’t feel out of place the theme to a James Bond movie. A friend of mine who really doesn’t like the original version said that he wanted to purchase this version. That in many ways sums up this article and the power of rearranging and re-imagining music. It uncovers themes you didn’t realise were there, adds new meaning and appeals to a whole new audience.

To find out more about Southern Sinfonia please visit our Website, Twitter or Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment